Monday 29 March 2010

Function

This video shows my alarm clock's electronic workings:



Explanation:

I made changes to a generic alarm clock to meet the feedback I received from my users.

I replaced a recorded alarm signal with the mechanical component and programmed it to imitate a woodpecker. In my video, the box it is placed against is to emulate a wardrobe.

To maintain a sleep pattern and ensure that the user receives at least 8 hours of sleep a night, I limited the times the user is able to get up at. In the video, the time selected was 6am. These times could be tailored to my user's requirements.

You also might have noticed that time is not being displayed. There is an internal clock that will keep time through radio transmission. I am communicating to my users that this is not a clock but a device to help you receive 8 hours of sleep a night. The 'time dial' is being made to look like an analogue clock face so at a distance it might look like a clock.

I later introduced a 'test' switch for the user to have confidence in their placement and the device and to make sure they can hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment